Sony Ericsson K200i flash protection

Mychaela Falconia falcon at freecalypso.org
Sun Dec 3 19:45:13 UTC 2023

Hi Vadim,

> just letting you know that it worked!  I was able to unlock all flash
> sectors on a K200i phone with the SAMSUNG flash.

Nice to hear that it works as expected.

> P.S. I am seeing more commits in the freecalypso-tools repository ;)

I implemented ppb-program and ppb-erase-all for Spansion PL-N flash -
hence now you should be able to execute 'flash ppb-erase-all' on K2x0
phones with S71PL129N flash and unlock those too.  (I tested the
functions on other hw with S71PL129N flash, by locking some sectors
and then unlocking, but I don't have a K2x0 phone with this flash.)

There are two tasks remaining on this fc-loadtool flash support
improvement project:

1) Write documentation for the newly added sector locking, unlocking
and lock-state checking functionality.

2) Add support for examining the OTP sector of AMD-style (Spansion and
Samsung) flash chips.  We already have 'flash prot-reg' for reading
the protection register on Intel flash chips - I implemented it a few
years ago when we discovered that Compal phones store their IMEI in
those OTP cells - but Spansion and Samsung flash chips (as well as
historical AMD and Fujitsu, if we ever find an ancient Calypso device
with one of those) also have OTP sectors, structured and accessed very
differently from their Intel flash counterpart, and we really should
have a way to easily check and see if someone programmed anything in
there.