FreeCalypso on Mot C139 back on the agenda

David Matthews mail at dmatthews.org
Fri May 29 14:07:24 UTC 2020

Hi Das

>or leaving it in airplane mode, would be one way to
>mitigation this privacy issue.

Am somewhat reassured by that, although as Mychaela mentioned, with black box software there's no way to know for sure what it's doing. Seems like a reasonable assumption that airplane mode is to prevent a hit on battery life if the phone repeatedly attempts and fails to sit on a cell tower though. The idea that a phone in normal mode might interfere with airplane electronics is pretty risible.

Anyway I've solved my dilemma in this way. The android phone my daughter discarded, with OSM maps added is streets ahead of the dedicated Garmin gadget I have. So the sane thing is to leave that in airplane mode, treat it as a GPS device only and use a calypso phone for actual phone usage and not carry it with me.

I'm currently using a Pirelli, but - @ Mychaela - I have located my freerunner *and* the unlock cable, co I'm going to put a saved dump from an early C139 (now lost) on the new C139 to get around it being locked to a single provided :-)

--
David Matthews
mail at dmatthews.org