FreeCalypso on Mot C139 back on the agenda

Das Signal das.signal at freecalypso.org
Fri May 29 13:18:43 UTC 2020

Hi all,

I believe David might be thinking of the fact that any phone needs
to perform regular location updates with the network in order to
receive phone calls, SMS and so forth. Therefore the network knows
which base station the phone last connected to and thus gains
knowledge of the user's whereabouts and travels, which could be more
or less detailed depending on the density of GSM cells. Not turning
the phone on, or leaving it in airplane mode, would be one way to
mitigation this privacy issue. Alternatively, the phone could sleep
for several hours at a time, and decide to way up to check on new
SMS. In this way the network has less information about the user's
travel history.

--DS