Host system for FC development

Das Signal das.signal at freecalypso.org
Thu Oct 25 19:47:16 UTC 2018

On Wed, Oct 24, 2018 at 07:59:36PM -0800, Mychaela Falconia wrote:

> So, what do others think?  For those who like the idea of a prebuilt
> binary package with our ARM7 gcc toolchain, would DS or anyone else be
> willing to produce a version with --prefix=/opt/freecalypso/gcc?  I
> just tarred up and uploaded my version:
>
> https://www.freecalypso.org/members/falcon/slackware/fc-arm7-gcc-slack14.2.tar.bz2
>
> but I have no idea if it will work on any system other than mine,
> hence someone else may need to build a different binary package for
> more "modern" host systems.

Hi Mychaela,

I can certainly try to do it over the week-end. The version I released
previously was made for maximum compatibility with a wide range of
systems, by statically linking against mpfr & co, and also dynamically
linking against a rather old libc (iirc, the one shipping with Debian 6),
and tested the result with the version of Slackware you used at the time.
It's not a difficult process but I'll try to put down a couple notes
about how to compile it in case someone wants to reproduce the build.
You might want to have a look at the latest Debian btw (currently 9),
by using the netinst way of installing you can really have a minimal
system and install only from there the packages you want; it works
really well in my experience although you might dig a little bit for
a few packages (for instance, policykit-1-gnome is no longer in the
Recommended packages for xfce4 but it is required to mount removable
devices). In general with a little bit of googling such issues are
quickly solved, and overall it's a very solid distribution for everyday
use.

--DS