New experimental gcc-built firmware

Mychaela Falconia mychaela.falconia at gmail.com
Sat Jul 28 20:09:57 UTC 2018

Hello FreeCalypso community,

I did a little bit more work on FC Selenite: the gcc-built config with
GPRS enabled now boots without crashing (although actually using GPRS
still crashes the fw, which does not happen in the TMS470-built
version), and I added some documentation explaining how to configure
and build FC Selenite with both compilers.

The more important news item is that our older FC Citrine firmware
(our previous attempt at gcc-built fw) is now officially fully retired.
Aside from Mot C155/156 target support which is deprecated because we
now have our own FreeCalypso hw instead of hacking Mot C1xx phones,
and aside from the TCH rerouting hack which was never practically
usable because the underlying DSP mechanism doesn't work with AMR,
FC Selenite gcc can do everything that FC Citrine did plus more, and
is no less free in terms of being built with gcc from full source
without any blobs, hence there is no more need to maintain or support
FC Citrine in any way.  I just pushed the final commit to the
freecalypso-citrine Hg repository, updating the README file to explain
that FC Citrine is retired and pointing to FC Selenite as the new
blob-free gcc-built fw; now I need to update our web pages.

Going forward, I am not currently doing any major work on any of our
firmwares, instead I am focusing on the hardware: without hardware to
run it on, any sw/fw work is simply pointless, no matter how good or
how free/libre it happens to be, hence we need more FreeCalypso hw
before anything else.  Any minor fw fixes made during this time will
be applied to both Magnetite and Selenite source trees (both follow
the same general architecture, unlike the radically different arch
that was used in Citrine); official builds for FCDEV3B and Openmoko
modems will continue to be made from the Magnetite tree in the hybrid
config.