Legal situation

Serg l serg at tvman.us
Sat Sep 2 20:24:39 UTC 2017

Another alternative, chosen by "western" FOS community is to pretend that
they never seen the TI code and fully reverse engineered the software to
run on Calypso chipset. This is the OsmocomBB approach. While it is still
questionable, generally hardware ownership rights are transferred from the
manufacturer to the user at the time of sale, so if you load your own
software into Calypso chipset it is a pretty legal activity. Another factor
of the equation is use of shared licensed radio spectrum. It is a separate
can of worms by itself if you want to be 100% compliant. However from
observing all the penalties imposed by FCC to various parties, even big
guys cannot follow all the intricacies to the existing laws.