FCDEV3B update

Mychaela Falconia mychaela.falconia at gmail.com
Sat Dec 24 05:01:47 UTC 2016

Hello FreeCalypso community,

First of all, lots of thanks to everyone who has recently donated,
both on GoFundMe and through other channels - you know who you are. :)

I have some good news on the FCDEV3B front: one enthusiastic supporter
of our work (a person who wishes to remain anonymous, AFAICT) has just
donated 3000 USD, and I expect this money to be sufficient to cover
the most critical and most expensive step in the FCDEV3B production
process - PCB fabrication.

Right now I am waiting for John (the Altium PCB layout person I am
working with) to deliver the final version of the design with my
desired last minute corrections.  Because it is Xmas in USA, we may
have to wait till Tuesday on this one.  Once I get the finalized
design from John, I will need to run it by my SMT assembly shop for
the final review, and if all goes well, I hope to get the PCB
fabrication order in by the first week of January.

I am really excited now, as I am convinced that our own FreeCalypso
hardware, even if it's only a modem fw development board initially,
has the potential to advance the cause of FLOSS cellular telephony
much more than any Mot C1xx or Pirelli hacks ever will.