GNU ARM7 toolchain for FreeCalypso

david at matthews.pm david at matthews.pm
Sat Nov 14 13:06:40 CET 2015

dearie

>I got a few thoughts regarding the toolchain in the subject line:
>

>Comments, suggestions, alternative ideas are welcome.

Your ideas tally with my own instincts, high level language based only of course. I think there are situations when excluding "not invented here", to get rid of a load of unneeded bloat makes good sense.

Apart from this I'm now convinced of what I already suspected - that you are a fuckin' genius. I just flashed the C139 and everything just goes as you say it should :-)

This is written hot after rebooting and making a test call from the modded phone - which worked fine. I've not explored the gui much further than this as yet, but it is usable, if charmingly minimalistic in places. I do see the oddness on the home screen that you and DS reported, but the MTN menu (that's the network I'm testing on - currently notorious for doing bad stuff and getting heavily fined in Nigeria ^_~) is actually very pretty - much more so than on the original firmware. Same goes for the other sub-menus, which are an improvement IMO :-)

It's tempting to use this as main phone for a while as I could do the battery charging on the un-modded c139 I have, but a current limitation is that the screen does not power itself off as yet, which will hammer the batteries?

I will do an expanded howto from your instructions, similar to the things I wrote for leo2moko - a couple of queries re this:-

1. Is it accurate to say that this c139 firmware is sibling/cousin to leo2moko for the freerunner, ie still with binary blobs, but with the major difference that on the C139 the replacement firmware drives the gui?

2. The binary dump can be used to revert to the compal original firmware? I'm guessing the custom bootloader also gets overwritten to revert to the standard? What would be the command to revert if that was desired?

--
David Matthews
david at matthews.pm