GNU ARM7 toolchain for FreeCalypso

Das Signal das.signal at freecalypso.org
Sat Nov 14 13:05:53 CET 2015

Hi Mychaela,

I like too the idea of a self-contained code base, and since you
already have experience with libc it should be straightforward!
You're also correct about the possible namespace clashes, although
I didn't have the problem yet since I keep the FC toolchain in a
specific location, distinct from /usr and /usr/local.

Since we are recreating a toolchain, it might be useful to update
to a newer binutils and esp. gcc, although this might break the
current build and require a lot of cleanup of TI's old code.
I don't know much about Debian packaging TBH (in the rare cases I
need to recompile a package, I use the standard dpkg-buildpackage).
Maybe a simple tgz that uncompresses, say to /usr/local, would
provide a generic solution suitable for all distros? We'd just
have to build it with an old enough distro (say Debian 6), to avoid
the problem of newer glibc that ship with new symbols, making any
compiled binary incompatible with older versions.

--DS