[retronet-discuss] DEC VAX computer architecture

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Thu Oct 19 08:17:45 UTC 2023

Hi Mychaela,

On Wed, Oct 18, 2023 at 11:57:55PM -0800, Mychaela Falconia wrote:

> Somehow the discussion touched the recent Vintage Computer Festival
> event that apparently happened somewhere in Germany [...]

for the record, it was about Classic Computing 2023
(https://www.classic-computing.org/cc2023-hauptseite/) organized by
a non-profit that both manawyrm and I are members of.

> [...], and it was
> mentioned that someone brought a VAX machine (running VMS) to the
> event, a model from the VAX 4000 family which I am not super-familiar
> with.

for the record, the owner of said VAX (and probably tons of other VAX
machines) is Hans Huebner who also occasionally
blogged about VAX related topics at https://netzhansa.blogspot.com/

> [..] and then
> someone jokingly said something like "there is also Anti-VAX".

sorry, I'm known for making stupid jokes and puns about anything and
everything...

> How can I put it politely... I really, really don't like it when the
> name of my beloved vintage computer architecture has been hijacked to
> refer to a certain pharmaceutical product [...]

certainly no offence was meant.  It was just a stupid pun created by some neurons
firing in my brai, nothing more and nothing less.

--
- Harald Welte <laforge at gnumonks.org>          https://laforge.gnumonks.org/