New phone discovery: Sony Ericsson J120

Mychaela Falconia falcon at freecalypso.org
Fri Dec 1 20:09:51 UTC 2023

Hi Vadim,

> Today I took the phone apart and made a few photos of the PCB.  Here is
> the best one of them, uploaded to Osmocom's Redmine:
>
> https://osmocom.org/attachments/7155
> https://osmocom.org/attachments/download/7155/SE-J120i-PCB.jpg

Thank you for this photo, it is very clear!

> * DBB: D751749ZPH

IC die: well-known Calypso Lite, same as Mot C1xx, Huawei GTM900,
iWOW TR-800 reborn as FC Tango, etc.

BGA package: ZPH which is RoHS version of GPH, which is *different*
from the classic 179GHH Calypso BGA package for which we have ballout
documentation.  The classic 179GHH package has 0.8 mm ball pitch,
whereas GPH/ZPH is (to the best of my understanding) 0.5 mm.

> * RF PA: SKY77318-12 (similarly to SE K200)

Yes, a common/typical PA in 6x6 mm package, same size and age as
RF3166 used on FCDEV3B.

> * RF TRX: Si4210 (like in Motorola C168?)

Silabs Aero II, indeed also used in Mot C168 and W220, and as I
covered in last month's OsmoDevCall, the heterovendor combination of
TI baseband plus Silabs Aero family RF transceivers was quite popular
in those days.  In purely objective terms, aside from subjective
questions of familiarity and availability of turnkey-working firmware,
Si4210 is a very good GSM MS RF transceiver: 5x5 mm package (contrast
with TI Rita at 7x7 mm), 4 separate LNA inputs for native quadband
support, very few external components needed, and it is possible (I
don't really know) that the low-IF Rx architecture of Silabs Aero
family *might* have better GSM Rx performance than the direct
conversion Rx architecture of TI Rita.

> * TI T3025BZQW (?)

Iota ABB, ZQW package which is RoHS version of GQW - but unlike the
situation with Calypso GPH/ZPH package, we do have ballout documentation
for this one.

> * MX92U832ZCG (audio?)

Not familiar.

> * J030W[0D]YT02 (?)

The Intel logo on this chip, visible in your photo, makes it clear that
this IC is the flash+RAM MCP.  The flash part of this MCP is equivalent
to 28F320W18T, as you already discovered earlier.