FreeCalypso website update

david at matthews.pm david at matthews.pm
Sun Nov 22 08:51:36 CET 2015

Mychaela

>I just made an update to the www.freecalypso.org home page reflecting
>the new reality we are in thanks to the tcs211-c139 port.

looking good!

>Going forward, the first logical thing I will need to do is dig into
>the UI code in tcs211-c139 to find and fix its crashing and other
>show-stopping bugs, and also implement battery charging and turning
>off of the display when idle, so that a C139 running this fw will
>become a practically usable (albeit ultra-minimalistic) libre phone.

as a minimalistic phone user, I think for me, fixing the display turning off problem would make freecalypso viable for everyday use. I can easily live with charging spare batteries on an unmodded C139. I don't store multiple contacts, or even use any phone that much, but I'd still be giving the firmware something approaching real world everyday testing.

I'm clear why the other issues also need to be fixed, but fixing the display turn off will immediately give you one (at least!) everyday tester ;-)

>other members of our community
>can't be searching the world high and low for a surviving source at
>the same time.

IMO (formed from life experience totally unrelated to technology/libre phones/this project) the person most likely to have success with this is someone who has totally immersed themself in the world of the calypso. This is most unfortunate from the point of view of division of labour.

Are you aware of this person? There is mention of leaked documents and firmware C source.

http://www.mirider.com/Playing_with_the_GSM_RF_Interface-Dieter_Spaar.pdf

Everything else a cursory search turns up is osmocombb related (which this may also be) or us(!)

--
David Matthews
david at matthews.pm