Progress on the GSM network at FreeCalypso HQ

Mychaela Falconia mychaela.falconia at gmail.com
Tue May 10 22:09:30 UTC 2022

Hi Denver,

> You could try https://jmp.chat/ if you care about texting features
> (while calls use Jabber/XMPP by default, SIP is supported too).
>
> If you don't care about texting, then the cheapest numbers you will find
> are at https://bulkvs.com/ .

The way you worded it, are you saying that BulkVS does not support
SMS?  Their documentation says that they do support it - are there
some big problems/gotchas with BulkVS SMS service that I need to be
aware of?

At first glance BulkVS looks like a much more attractive service, not
just in terms of price, but also in terms of target audience - I am
NOT looking for a service marketed directly to end users, instead I am
looking for a backhaul/back-end service whose customers are then
providing services to end users.  Basically Themyscira Wireless,
acting as a very small cellular carrier, will be buying phone numbers
and PSTN connectivity service in bulk from a suitable back-end provider,
and ThemWi will then provide cellular (GSM) service to end users.  To
an end user though, the service from ThemWi needs to look and feel no
different from "regular" service from a traditional carrier like
T-Mobile - when an end user gets a service with a SIM card from ThemWi,
she needs to be able to call and text whomever, and receive calls and
texts from whomever.  Are you aware of any problems with BulkVS that
would make this idea not work if I choose BulkVS as the back-end
provider for ThemWi?

There will be just one key difference between traditional carriers
and ThemWi in terms of end user services: I am fiercely against MMS,
and the only thing I want to do with it is block it.  Thus "texting"
in my world means SMS and not MMS.

I also don't relish the idea of adding Jabber as one more required
piece to the puzzle, which appears to be required at least for SMS
with your JMP service.