A blast from the past: Ericsson I888

Mychaela Falconia mychaela.falconia at gmail.com
Fri Jun 3 08:07:15 UTC 2022

Hello FreeCalypso community,

As most of you probably know, our beloved TI Calypso platform dates
from the mid-2000s: the chipset of Calypso C035 DSP36 plus Iota ABB
plus Rita RF dates from 2004, whereas most commercial Calypso phones
(Mot C1xx, Pirelli DP-L10, Huawei and iWOW modules) date from 2005 to
2007 timeframe.  However, the era of "most classic" GSM phones (think
Nokia DCT3 family, Ericsson I888 etc) was some years earlier, in the
late 1990s - that late 1990s period can perhaps even be called the
Golden Age of GSM.

Now that I have my own GSM network for full-freedom testing, I am
making a little side venture to enrich my understanding of history: I
am acquiring some GSM phones (specifically PCS1900 band models, or
multiband ones that include PCS1900) from that late 1990s golden era,
I bring them up on my Themyscira Wireless network, and I get a feel
for how they function, particularly in comparison to mid-2000s phones
which I have more experience with.

The first 1990s phone in my collection, acquired just a few days ago,
is Ericsson I888 World.  This model is a good example of what the term
"high end phone" meant in late 1990s - it is a very solid device, big
and heavy as a brick.  This "world phone" supports just two bands,
900 MHz and PCS1900 - note the lack of DCS1800 support - but back then
multiband support was an expensive proposition, requiring large parts
of the RF tract to be replicated per band.  At the same time as this
900+1900 MHz I888, Ericsson also had a 900+1800 MHz sibling called
SH888 - I heard about SH888 being popular in Russia in those days, but
naturally it was never found in USA, lacking PCS1900 band support.

This Ericsson phone appears to be based on an earlier technology
generation than Nokia DCT3 family, even though chronologically they
seem to be contemporaries.  I don't have any DCT3 phones yet (plan to
acquire some, to round out my collection), but some years ago I found
Nokia's service manual for "NSE-3 Series", and according to this
manual, those DCT3 phones already ran on 2.8V internally: their MAD
baseband, their RF block, etc were all powered at 2.8V.  The battery
was a choice of single-cell Li-ion or 3-cell NiMH, both considered
3.6V nominal.  But Ericsson I888 is a higher-voltage beast: it is