fc-host-tools-r15 release

Mychaela Falconia mychaela.falconia at gmail.com
Sat Mar 27 02:19:35 UTC 2021

Hello FreeCalypso community,

I am pleased to announce the release of fc-host-tools-r15:

ftp://ftp.freecalypso.org/pub/GSM/FreeCalypso/fc-host-tools-r15.tar.bz2
ftp://ftp.freecalypso.org/pub/GSM/FreeCalypso/fc-host-tools-latest.tar.bz2

There are only two significant differences from the previous r14
release:

* New fc-simint utility works as a Calypso-specific front end to
fc-simtool, and there is also a simagent back end - these extra pieces
allow fc-simtool to operate on SIM cards inside Calypso phones or FC
dev boards, without having to move the SIM back and forth between the
Calypso device and a dedicated card reader.

* pcm-sms-decode, the utility for decoding binary SMS records read out
of SIM cards with fc-simint/fc-simtool or out of Pirelli's FFS with
fc-fsio, now implements more intelligent handling for characters that
cannot be displayed directly, converting them into backslash escapes
instead of '?' error markers.

With this little release out of the way, I am going to continue working
toward setting up my own GSM network.  I just ordered two nanoBTS units
from ebay (one for 850 MHz, one for 1900 MHz); I still need to get a
proper server machine for running Osmocom CNI software, but I will get
to it.  The batch of 200 FCSIM1 cards (our own FC-branded programmable
SIM cards for use with our own GSM networks) is almost finished
according to my sales contact at Grcard, and is expected to ship in
the next few days.