More documentation for Tango and Caramel2

Mychaela Falconia mychaela.falconia at gmail.com
Wed Jul 21 03:25:08 UTC 2021

Hello FreeCalypso community,

It has been 8 months since our Tango-based Caramel2 boards became
publicly available, but so far no one other than me and Das Signal got
one of these boards.

I have also put out some additional documentation.  Most of our
documentation for iWOW TR-800 and for our rebranding of this module as
FC Tango has been published back in 2020-10:

ftp://ftp.freecalypso.org/pub/GSM/iWOW/
ftp://ftp.freecalypso.org/pub/GSM/FreeCalypso/Tango/

More recently I have published the Gerber files from the PCB reverse
eng company, showing the complete internals of the TR-800 module PCB:

ftp://ftp.freecalypso.org/pub/GSM/iWOW/TR800-reverse-eng-gerbers.tar.bz2

Schematic-equivalent ueda-language source code producing a netlist
that exactly matches all connected copper on that module PCB was
already published earlier, along with my own assignment of reference
designators:

ftp://ftp.freecalypso.org/pub/GSM/FreeCalypso/Tango/FC-Tango-netlist.tar.gz
ftp://ftp.freecalypso.org/pub/GSM/FreeCalypso/Tango/FC-Tango-component-placement.pdf

And finally just today I wrote and published FC Caramel2 Status Report
and User's Guide - a document that details exactly how our C2 project
came out (what works perfectly vs. which parts have issues) and shows
how to use the board at a basic level.  Here it is:

ftp://ftp.freecalypso.org/pub/GSM/FreeCalypso/Tango/Caramel2-SR-UG-v1.1.pdf

And here is the schematic drawing for this board, in case you missed
it when it was published last year:

ftp://ftp.freecalypso.org/pub/GSM/FreeCalypso/Tango/caramel2-schem.pdf

As a reminder, all of this hardware is still readily available:

* Bare Tango modules (for building your own design around them) are
$40 apiece, no MOQ;

* Caramel2 boards go for $220 for a fully complete kit, or $150 for a
reduced kit where you need to provide your own adapter(s) to two
LVCMOS (2.8V or 3.3V) UARTs.

I am also very open to the idea of giving this hardware out completely
free of cost to anyone who can demonstrate some loyalty to the cause
and mission of FreeCalypso - it doesn't do any good just sitting here,
gathering dust.