FCDEV3B giveaway reminder

Mychaela Falconia mychaela.falconia at gmail.com
Mon May 25 01:28:18 UTC 2020

Hello FreeCalypso community,

This post is yet another periodic reminder that I still have a bunch
of FCDEV3B boards sitting in a box which I would gladly give away to
worthy recipients.  Right now I have:

* 5 FCDEV3B V1 boards with 900 MHz band
* 5 FCDEV3B V2 boards with 900 MHz band
* 3 FCDEV3B V2 boards with 850 MHz band

Anyone who is interested in running FreeCalypso modem firmware (100%
standard GSM+GPRS end user modem functionality, but with fully
published source code), does not already have an FCDEV3B and would
like one for the purpose of running FC modem fw (not OBB), please just
ask!  If you simply gather enough courage to write to me and ask,
there is a high probability that I will send you a board free of cost
(they are just gathering dust otherwise), either V1 or V2 depending on
the level of enthusiasm I can sense from you, one or the other
frequency band version depending on your geopolitical location and
depending on what kind of GSM networks you intend to connect to:
public commercial ones or your own GSM network run with your own BTS
and some FLOSS network-side GSM stack.

Obviously this offer is for personal hobbyists and enthusiasts, not
for commercial entities.  For anyone needing a FreeCalypso modem for a
more serious application than just personal tinkering, we (Falconia
family) have a completely different offering: a few months ago we
discovered the existence of a certain already made (although extremely
obscure) Calypso modem module that is even better than our own FCDEV3B:
it is fully quadband, has even more Calypso and Iota signals brought
out, and is very compact, even smaller than the recently risen-to-fame
Huawei GTM900-B.  But it is just a bare modem module (think of it like
a big chip), and one cannot simply play with this modem without first
designing and buildind your own carrier board for it.  (The people who
made this modem module years ago once had their own development board
for it, but that dev board is now unobtainium, while "bare" modules
are still plentifully available.)  Thus for personal tinkerer "play"
applications our FCDEV3B remains the ideal choice for now, whereas for
serious commercial users there is a different option.