Mot C139 unlocked fw for end users

Mychaela Falconia mychaela.falconia at gmail.com
Tue Jun 9 17:45:34 UTC 2020

Hello FreeCalypso community,

If someone wishes to use their Mot C139 or C140 as an end user phone,
but the unit they got came with carrier branding and won't accept
arbitrary SIMs, what can they do?  While our own FreeCalypso handset
firmware is still far away, the current solution is to reflash your
phone to a different official Motorola fw version that has no carrier
branding (Motorola's own "Hellomoto" branding instead) and which
accepts all SIMs.  Toward this end I just put out this package:

ftp://ftp.freecalypso.org/pub/GSM/Compal/c139-unlocked-fw2.zip

In this package I have collected 6 different Mot C139 fw versions
which share the key desired quality of having no carrier branding and
no SIM restriction.  These 6 collected versions include the one I've
been using all along, the one which our dear David is using, and 4
others.  All 6 of these fw versions should work equally well on both
EU-band and NA-band C139/140 phones, thus the choice of which version
one should use is a matter of personal preference - which is why I am
presenting all known options.

The Compal-unlock article in freecalypso-tools has last been updated
in 2016, and is in need of a new update - I will try to get to it some
time later.