Host system for FC development

Das Signal das.signal at freecalypso.org
Wed Oct 31 12:53:18 UTC 2018

On Mon, Oct 29, 2018 at 06:06:24PM -0800, Mychaela Falconia wrote:

> Based on some comments I have received off-list, it seems like my
> original post about my Slackware update woes gave the community a
> wrong impression that anyone who wishes to play with FreeCalypso needs
> to replicate an elaborate hacked-up Slackware setup exactly like mine.
> If so, I apologize for that misleading impression - you do NOT need a
> setup like mine in order to play with FC, just compiling FC host tools
> is enough if you are going to run officially released FC firmware
> images, and if you wish to compile your own fw, you will need Wine in
> order to build the version that actually works, not the ARM7 gcc
> toolchain.  I hope that the present post clarifies the confusion.

Hi Mychaela,

I can confirm freecalypso-tools compiles just fine on Debian 10 with
gcc 7.3, and target-utils with the new toolchain I provided. So that
should reassure everyone that no particular setup is required.
By the way, most of the warnings are about implicit conversion to int
and can be disabled this way:

find . -name Makefile -exec perl -i -pe 's/CFLAGS=/CFLAGS+=/g' {} \;
CFLAGS=-Wno-implicit make

This Makefile modification also allows passings flags that can be
useful for debugging, such as -g.

Only left are warnings about returning with no value, but that
particular warning cannot be disabled; the only way to silent it
I think would be to prefix those functions with void.

--DS