fc-host-tools-r9 release

Mychaela Falconia mychaela.falconia at gmail.com
Mon Nov 5 03:17:11 UTC 2018

Hello FC community,

I am pleased to announce a new release of our FreeCalypso host tools:

ftp://ftp.freecalypso.org/pub/GSM/FreeCalypso/fc-host-tools-r9.tar.bz2

In terms of code changes there are only a few minor fixes relative to
the previous release, nothing of major significance, but the included
documentation got a lot of long-overdue updates.

With this release out, in the time between now and the expected arrival
of FCDEV3B V2 boards (my earlier estimate of "some time in January"
still holds) I plan to do a little more polishing work on other parts
of our code base, namely our Magnetite and Selenite firmware trees:

1) I am thinking of resurrecting the support we once had for the Mot
C155/156 target, namely, getting it supported in both Magnetite and
Selenite, with both TMS470 and gcc toolchains.  Running our firmware
via fc-xram without disturbing Mot's original fw in the flash like we
did with Citrine on this model won't be possible, but my goal is to
get this target supported in the flashed-fw VPM (voice pseudo-modem)
configuration just like the other two C1xx subfamilies.  It won't be
too bad because we have battery charging and auto-poweroff in
Magnetite and Selenite, which we never had in Citrine.

2) In the days of FC Citrine we had an optionally enabled hack-feature
for TCH rerouting that worked with voice calls connected in FR and EFR
modes, but not with AMR.  Because the underlying DSP support does not
work with AMR, this hack is of very questionable usefulness, but I am
now thinking that it won't hurt to incorporate it in Magnetite and
Selenite as a conditionally compiled, disabled by default feature - it
can't do anything if it isn't compiled in.  The goal here is to reduce
as much as possible the probability of having to go back to supporting
the old Citrine architecture which I consider to be a dead end.

As usual, there will probably also be some other minor polish and
documentation updates.