LCD evaluation and other preparations for FC handset

Pičugins Arsenijs crimier at yandex.ru
Tue Apr 17 22:15:46 UTC 2018

> [...] this idea will NOT work for our FreeCalypso handset. Our PCB will
> have 8 layers with lots of traces on every layer (intricate 2+4+2 HDI
> structure with inner buried vias and two levels of staggered microvias
> on each side), and the width of the PCB will extend only slightly past
> the width of the LCD module. If we had to cut a slot the width of the
> LCD's FPC tail in the middle of our PCB, it would cut through all of
> our layers and present an obstacle for signal routing, completely
> crippling our PCB layout. In short, just no - totally not suitable
> for a PCB of our complexity.

Then, another idea is rotating the LCD 180 degrees, then using
some kind of LCD command that would allow to rotate the image
accordingly - or rewrite the framebuffer output routines accordingly.
I assume that, if you're not going through the center of the PCB,
but making a slot on the top, the PCB routing shouldn't be as much
of a pain.

I understand that you've already picked this path, but I do think
it's necessary to point out other options, since I know it might
not be as obvious =)

Cheers!
Arsenijs