New FC host tools release

Mychaela Falconia mychaela.falconia at gmail.com
Fri Sep 29 00:20:17 UTC 2017

Hello FreeCalypso community,

I've got a new release of FC host tools out:

ftp://ftp.freecalypso.org/pub/GSM/FreeCalypso/fc-host-tools-r7.tar.bz2

The only substantive differences from the previous release
fc-host-tools-r6 are:

* The new serial port handling code and support for high GSM baud rates
  with FTDI adapters without needing kernel patches or USB VID:PID
  hacks, as recently discussed on this list.

* New tiaud-compile and tiaud-mkvol utilities for generating RiViera
  Audio Service audio mode config files, and a set of such audio mode
  config files for the FCDEV3B built with these tools.  All FCDEV3B
  boards from the new batch will be shipped with these audio mode
  config files already programmed in FFS under /aud, but our early
  adopters who got their boards earlier can get these missing audio
  mode config files with this updated FC host tools release.

There is no corresponding fc-host-tools-r7-ap release; if you are
looking to install FC host tools on the application processor of an
Openmoko GTA02 as opposed to a general-purpose host (PC/laptop), then
fc-host-tools-r6-ap.tar.bz2 is still the correct release to use: there
are no changes from r6 to r7 which affect usage or operation on the
GTA02 AP.

Furthermore, if you already have an earlier but still reasonably
recent version of FC host tools (r5 or r6) installed and working for
the purpose of operating on pre-existing Mot C1xx, Openmoko and/or
Pirelli phones, and you don't have an FCDEV3B board and don't plan on
acquiring one, then there is no need for you to update your FC host
tools installation: the changes from r5 to r6 and from r6 to r7 don't
include anything of much value to end users operating on pre-existing
phones.  OTOH, if you plan on getting an FCDEV3B board in the near
future and wish to play with it to the fullest, then you should
definitely prepare by downloading and installing this new release of
FC host tools.

The next step is for me to finish and release the FCDEV3B User's
Manual; I started working on it a while back, and it is a factor in
the timing of the present fc-host-tools-r7 release: I need to be able
to instruct FCDEV3B users to download and install the current release
of FC host tools and then subsequently use fc-loadtool and fc-xram at
812500 baud without opening the can of worms with dirty patches to the
Linux ftdi_sio driver and people's reasonable objections to such.