FreeCalypso hardware with SnPb solder or RoHS

Mychaela Falconia mychaela.falconia at gmail.com
Tue Sep 5 23:00:17 UTC 2017

Hello FC community,

It has been brought to my attention (off-list) that my current use of
SnPb solder in defiance of RoHS directives may be an even bigger turn-
off for some people than my disregard of ghost copyrights.

A clarification is in order: while my personal preferences are
strongly against RoHS, I also firmly believe in the maxim that the
customer is always right.  Therefore, if anyone orders a batch of
boards on a build-to-order basis, that customer gets to specify
whether they prefer SnPb solder or RoHS, and I will be more than happy
to deliver whichever the customer orders.

A clarification regarding the build-to-order part above.  There are
two ways in which people can buy FCDEV3B boards:

The retail option: I build small batches of boards at my expense and
risk, I test them, and those units that pass the tests become available
for retail sale, so someone can buy an already-built and known-good
board off the stock shelf with zero risk.  The available quantities
with this option will always be in the low single units, and the
per-unit price will be quite high because I have to pay all of the
costs upfront out of my own pocket and take all of the risks.

The build-to-order option: a customer can order a batch of boards to
be made (minimum of 10 boards, no upper limit) and pays upfront for
the production costs of that batch.  In this scenario the customer
gets to specify which configuration they want (SnPb or RoHS solder,
analog audio circuits included or omitted, any other feasible
customizations), and the price will be negotiated based on the order
quantity: the larger the batch, the lower the per-unit cost.  Then a
batch of boards gets made to order and delivered to the customer.

Back to the leaded or lead-free solder option, if you order a batch
run, you get to specify; if you buy a single unit off the stock shelf
(the retail option), you get whatever I happen to have on hand.

I hope that my explanation sufficiently addresses any concerns
regarding SnPb vs. RoHS issues.