FCDEV3B loudspeaker and microphone

Pičugins Arsenijs crimier at yandex.ru
Sun Oct 15 01:27:34 UTC 2017

> I am also thinking about putting together a mechanically rigid FCDEV3B
> setup that would consist of the FCDEV3B itself, the FT2232D adapter
> for it, the to-be-figured-out loudspeaker and a Li-ion battery that
> can be easily taken out for external charging and put back in, all
> rigidly mounted on a substrate such as plexiglas, so that the complete
> setup with all of its interconnections can be transported as a unit,
> without having to dismantle and reconnect everything. Such portable-
> as-a-unit setup will be absolutely needed in order to test truly
> mobile operation with cell reselection, location updates and handovers
> - I would need to be able to get into a car with this portable FCDEV3B
> setup and a laptop, and exercise mobile functionality while my partner
> drives the car around. But creating this mechanical setup will be a
> lot of work, so it'll be a while before we have it.

What I'd suggest is having a lasercut plate, with the FCDEV3B board
on standoffs, some 18650 batteries in holders (it's much easier to
source 18650, they're very stable and don't require any special
precautions) and a charger board for the 18650 right on the same
plate, also, loudspeaker and whatever else is desired on that plate.
It's a common setup that we do from time to time to test devices
at our hackerspace, it's relatively lightweight, cheap (though acrylic
is not as cheap as wood) and easy to design&produce, so definitely
doesn't count as "a lot of work"  - you can design that in Inkscape and
produce at the nearest friendly lasercutter-equipped hackerspace.

-Arsenijs