FreeCalypso host tools release

Mychaela Falconia mychaela.falconia at gmail.com
Sat May 20 23:59:13 UTC 2017

Hello FC community,

I am pleased to announce the latest packaged release of our host tools:

ftp://ftp.freecalypso.org/pub/GSM/FreeCalypso/fc-host-tools-r5.tar.bz2

Our loyal developers (or at least aspiring developers :) DS and Serg
have surely been following the development of these tools in the
freecalypso-tools Hg repository on Bitbucket and regularly compiling
them from source including the target binaries, but the packaged
release above includes precompiled binaries for the Calypso ARM7, so
you only need to compile the Unix/Linux host programs and won't need a
cross-compiler setup as a prerequisite.

The previous packaged release of FC host tools (r4) was made near the
end of 2015, and there have been many new developments since then: see
the CHANGES file at the top level inside the fc-host-tools-r5 tarball.

While anyone who wishes to be a serious FreeCalypso developer is still
expected to follow the Hg repository as needed, having regular
periodic releases of our host tools with target binaries included is
still important in terms of making our offerings more accessible.  And
yes, I do realize that we do not currently have any offerings that are
truly for the end user, but there are still many intermediate levels
between a core developer and an end user, and lowering the entry
barrier for those intermediate levels is important.

Next on my agenda is to update our website for the current hardware
situation: while we are still not at a point where we can sell our
FCDEV3B board kits on a retail basis, we are well past the at-risk
crowdfunding stage, thus the website is due for an update.  And once I
am done with that website update, I'm hoping to finally be able to get
back to the development of automated RF calibration software - the
lack of the latter is one of the main remaining blockers for the
FCDEV3B project.