Creating GSM Users Association (GSMUA)

Mychaela Falconia mychaela.falconia at gmail.com
Wed May 10 04:42:23 UTC 2017

Serg wrote:

> You brought up a tricky subject and I definitely would be interested to
> hear some feedback from someone who dealt with various government bodies in
> different countries.

Who dealt with various government bodies?  Why do we need to deal with
them at all?  I do not seek any kind of governmental approval for our
work, and I am perfectly happy with selling our hardware products as
black market goods similar to alternative medicines such as cocaine
and heroin.

But I do wish to ship our GSM MS products including development boards
with individual-per-unit factory-assigned IMEIs, world-unique to the
best of our ability and standing a good chance of being accepted as
valid by major GSM networks.  Of course every user's undeniable ability
to set her own IMEI is a key feature of FreeCalypso GSM MS offerings,
thus if the IMEIs we assign at the factory end up not being accepted
as valid by some network our users wish to use, those users can simply
change the IMEI to their own (whatever their target network will
swallow), but I still wish to ship our devices from the factory with
IMEI assignments as good and as close to legitimate as we are able,
hence my idea of a Recycled IMEI Registry to provide psychological
legitimization (psychological, not legal/governmental!) of our
squatting on an unused/wasted subrange of the IMEI range originally
assigned to the Pirelli DP-L10.

IOW, I just want to include a statement in the FCDEV3B product
description to the effect of "every unit is shipped from the factory
with a unique IMEI, numbered from a range obtained from GSMUA Recycled
IMEI Registry". :-)

> Website hosting is the easy part :)

Of course it is, but I offered to point the DNS to a server run by
someone from the Osmocom camp as a measure of neutrality, to make
GSMUA more of a neutral soil rather than purely Falconian soil like
FreeCalypso. :)  If I own the domain name but they control the hosting
server, neither side can easily cut the other out of the loop
unilaterally.  But if they do not wish to accept the olive branch,
we'll set up gsmua.org all on our own, and will always keep it
sufficiently separate from FreeCalypso so that non-FC people would be
welcome to join GSMUA if they are interested.