State of FreeRunner application side

Denver Gingerich denver at ossguy.com
Sat Mar 11 13:30:04 UTC 2017

On Sat, Mar 11, 2017 at 07:58:08AM +0000, david at matthews.pm wrote:
> The real problem with the freerunner as a libre phone is as Mychaela says, it is neither fish nor meat - way more complex and power hungry than a dumb phone and way behind the capabilities of even a 5 year old Samsung with a replacement firmware.

I think that's not as big of an issue with a phone that runs an "alternative" mobile OS, since you can choose to run applications that don't require much hardware power.  If one were running a more mainstream mobile OS, that would be much more of a problem.

> If you did want to pick up the baton with developing the linux side (or baseband!) of the freerunner, I'd would be interested, but I doubt that I'd be able to help much apart from testing.

That's fair; thanks for the offer!  It's not in my short-term plan right now, but I'll let you know if/when I do start on something.

> For the linux side, the last releases of Qtmoko would probably be the best starting point, but even these suffered from what I understand to be a faulty kernel - expect to find your phone has crashed at least once a day, even if you reboot it regularly. This distribution was pretty much a one man effort, by a very helpful guy - you might be able to stimulate him to take an interest again.

Which guy was this?  In case I do end up going in this direction, I just want to confirm who I should reach out to.

Denver
http://soprani.ca/