FreeCalypso REcon update

Mychaela Falconia mychaela.falconia at gmail.com
Sun Jun 18 18:15:22 UTC 2017

Hello FreeCalypso community,

Yesterday I gave my talk about our project at REcon Montreal; here are
the slides:

ftp://ftp.freecalypso.org/pub/GSM/FreeCalypso/recon2017_freecalypso.pdf
ftp://ftp.freecalypso.org/pub/GSM/FreeCalypso/recon2017_freecalypso.ps

There should also be a video recording of my talk as well, but it will
probably take a little while for the REcon team to put the videos up.

I am still at the conference (today is the last day), and I am traveling
back to California tomorrow (Monday).  Once I get settled back at home,
I will need to get back to FCDEV3B hardware issues.  Some people at
REcon have already expressed an interest in our boards, so we do need
to produce our next batch, and likely further batches after that.  We
still have 20 more PCBs and enough ready-to-go parts for the next batch
of 12 boards, but before I call Technotronix and give them the go-ahead
to assemble that next batch, I need to resolve all of our outstanding
hardware issues:

* Try replacing the jumper headers at JP2 and JP3 with directly
  soldered-in wire jumpers and see if the sleep mode problem goes away,
  and if it doesn't, try upping the 0402 caps at C220 and C221 from
  100 nF to 1 uF.

* Have Technotronix take a look at the SIM socket on the two boards
  where the SIM interface doesn't work, and see if there is some issue
  with its soldering - I would rather have it be good from the start
  on the next batch.

* Exercise the loudspeaker driver and microphone input circuits on our
  current boards, and see if they work: if it turns out that we need
  to change some resistor or capacitor values, I would rather find out
  before we assemble the next batch.

It is also my strong preference to have our production RF calibration
system fully complete before we assemble that next batch of FCDEV3B
boards, as there is no better way to rapidly test the RF tract of a
freshly assembled board than to put it through the automated
calibration process for all 3 bands.  In order to finish our RF
calibration system (the software is almost fully done), I need to get
the CMU200 itself calibrated, and it naturally makes sense to get this
CMU200's main RF signal generator fixed before putting the unit through
expensive calibration, so I've got my work cut out for me.