logic level leveling between the FCDEV3B kits UARTs and 3.3V interfaces.

Mychaela Falconia mychaela.falconia at gmail.com
Mon Jul 17 16:51:58 UTC 2017

Kent del Pino <kentdelpino at gmail.com> wrote:

> Just a little thing, since I did cables this weekend for the FCDEV3B board.

Hi Kent, and welcome to our little odd community. :-)

> I have only seen the PCB on my table, not the schematics.

There are no graphical schematics for the FCDEV3B because the
"schematic" design for this board was done in a non-graphical manner,
using the structural subset of Verilog as the primary design input
language and some of my own custom netlist manipulation tools.  The
non-graphical "schematic" source for our board can be found here:

ftp://ftp.freecalypso.org/pub/GSM/FreeCalypso/fcdev3b/fcdev3b-netlist-20160127.zip

> If one is using a FTDI FT2232D unit, you have, between an output-pin(the
> generator) and the input-pin's protective diodes to Vcc, a difference of
> almost 0.5V.

Correct.  However, look at the DC Parameters table on page 4 of this
Calypso chip document:

ftp://ftp.freecalypso.org/pub/GSM/Calypso/cal000_a.pdf

The Vih line (High-level input voltage) lists the allowed maximum as
VDDS + 0.5 V, so I reasoned that TI designed their chip to be tolerant
of inputs coming from 3.3V logic.

> I think it's a good idea to limit the current in the UART signals with
> resistor at about 100 ohm in series.

I agree with you in principle, but where would we stick these
resistors?  Of course if someone is going to make a custom FT2232D
board specifically for interfacing to FreeCalypso devices, then
everything becomes possible...