FCDEV3B update

Mychaela Falconia mychaela.falconia at gmail.com
Sat Apr 1 09:41:20 UTC 2017

Hello again everyone,

I've got some photos of our assembled FCDEV3B boards from the assembly
shop:

https://www.freecalypso.org/members/falcon/fcdev3b/IMG_7580.jpeg
https://www.freecalypso.org/members/falcon/fcdev3b/IMG_7581.jpeg

These photos were sent to me by the assembly shop people, i.e., I have
not seen the boards in person yet.  I don't know if they have already
assembled all 8 boards of the first batch, or just the one pictured so
far, but they told me that they need a little more time to complete
all of their quality inspection steps before the boards will be ready
for release to the customer, i.e., to us.  Thorough quality inspection
is always a very good thing of course, so I don't mind giving them the
time they need.  It is the weekend now, so they'll probably finish up
on Monday or Tuesday.

Of course the big unknown still is whether these boards will work or
not when powered up.  The assembly looks correct to me and the shop
will do X-ray inspection to ensure that all of the invisible solder
joints under the BGAs are good, but there are still unknowns regarding
the quality of the components and so forth.  The power-up test (to be
preceded by an ohm-meter check for shorts on power rails) is something
that will happen only when I receive the boards from Technotronix (the
assembly shop), thus this step will have to wait until one of the
evenings in the first half of next week.

So we still have another few days of waiting left, but at least now we
know exactly what we'll be getting in terms of the artifacts.