FreeCalypso on the Freerunner

Mychaela Falconia mychaela.falconia at gmail.com
Wed Nov 16 19:31:02 UTC 2016

Hello FC community,

If anyone here cares about FreeCalypso support for the Neo Freerunner
(the value of such support is dubious given the discontinued status of
the hardware and the sorry state of what was once upon a time the
Openmoko community - but still...), I invite you to try this firmware
build:

https://www.freecalypso.org/members/falcon/experimental-builds/gtamodem-magnetite-20161116.tar.bz2

It is built from the current FC Magnetite source in the stable l1reconst
configuration - *not* the experimental hybrid one.  Unless I broke
something, it should work exactly the same as leo2moko-r1 from 2013,
i.e., there should be no visible differences except for the identifying
strings - see below.  There are no end-user functional improvements of
any kind, hence there is NO call for strict end users to "upgrade".
However, if someone has a Freerunner that is running QtMoko, SHR, AoF
or some other end user distro and some cycles to spare, I would
appreciate some test reports.  Once again, don't expect any improvements
as there aren't any, but I would like to know if I broke something or
not.

One difference which does exist between all previous mokoN/leo2moko fw
versions and this one is the format in which the identifying strings
are emitted in response to AT+CGxx query commands.  The GSM 07.07 spec
defines these 4 commands for GSM modems to identify themselves:

AT+CGMI  -- get manufacturer name
AT+CGMM  -- get model name
AT+CGMR  -- get hw/fw revision
AT+CGSN  -- get serial number or IMEI

According to the GSM 07.07 spec, the exchanges look like this:

AT+CGMI		(command)
FIC/OpenMoko	(intermediate response)
OK		(final response)

The code we got from TI in the TCS3/LoCosto source implements this
format, and so does the Huawei 3G USB modem I use for Internet on the
go.  But Openmoko's mokoN firmwares changed the AT+CGxx output format
to this:

AT+CGMI			(command)
+CGMI: FIC/OpenMoko	(intermediate response)
OK			(final response)

When I did leo2moko back in 2013, I replicated the output format
produced by Om's fw versions, but the current FC Magnetite firmware
follows the GSM 07.07 standard.  I don't know if the modem-interfacing
software in QtMoko/SHR/AoF/etc will be sensitive to this change or not,
i.e., can they grok the official standard form in addition to Om's
non-standard one or not - hence my request for testing.