FreeCalypso deblobbing update

Mychaela Falconia mychaela.falconia at gmail.com
Wed Jun 8 16:40:03 CET 2016

Hello FC community,

As the binary blobs in our only available copy of TI's TCS211 firmware
from 20070608 are having their 9th anniversary, I am pleased to report
some significant progress on their deblobbing.  If you look in the
tcs211-l1-reconst Hg repository on Bitbucket, you will see that most
of L1 has now been deblobbed, i.e., for most of the linkable modules
which comprise L1 we now have a C source module that compiles into an
object which can be used successfully in the place of the original
blob, often matching that blob bit for bit.

Specifically, the subset of L1 which I have successfully deblobbed is
what I believe to be the minimal functional subset with AUDIO_TASK,
GPRS and L1TM (production line support code) excluded - this is the
same subset which is currently integrated in our gcc-built gsm-fw
using LoCosto L1 C modules and header files with only minimal
back-porting to Calypso.

The next step is to move this reconstructed TCS211 L1 code into our
gcc-built gsm-fw tree in the place of the current minimally-backported
version, and see if this L1 version replacement fixes the two bugs
which have been blocking further gsm-fw development for the past year
or so: broken deep sleep and DSP breakage when the higher voice codecs
are enabled.  Stay tuned!

Hasta la Victoria, Siempre,
Mychaela