Serial cables

Mychaela Falconia falcon at ivan.Harhan.ORG
Sat Nov 7 23:32:11 CET 2015

Das Signal <das.signal at freecalypso.org> wrote:

> By the way, have you updated the EEPROM on your UberWave cable? The
> sysmocom cables have the EEPROM already setup, however with any stock
> CP2102 this step is required to support non-standard baud rates.

Yes, I know about the CP2102 EEPROM of course.  The guy at UberWaves
markets and sells his cables as "OsmocomBB" (I am currently in
negotiations with him to get him to offer cables with FreeCalypso
stickers in addition to OsmocomBB-branded ones) and he ships his
CP2102 cables with GSM baud rates programmed - although he keeps
incorrectly referring to them as "OsmocomBB baud rates"; I'm still
working on educating him...  And yes, I double-checked that EEPROM
programming myself, and it is correct.  406250 baud would not work
either without GSM baud rate programming in the EEPROM, and it does
work - it's just that 812500 baud fails for some unknown reason.

Anyways, I am continuing my dialogue with George, the guy at UberWaves
- hopefully we'll be able to come up with an "officially approved for
FreeCalypso" serial cable which a user would be able to just buy and
use, with all GSM baud rates working with FreeCalypso host tools.

> I'm sorry the CP2102 cable I sent you broke, I have another one which
> so far has been working correctly.

Nice to know that not all Sysmocom cables are bad, I just got unlucky
apparently.  But it would still be nice to have another vendor for
CP2102 cables besides Sysmocom, which is why I'm negotiating with
George.

> I also have a PL2303 cable, but I
> don't currently use it since it's nicer to flash at 812500 bauds :-)

Yes, my point exactly. :)

> It probably wouldn't be too difficult for a newcomer to hack together
> a headset cable to a FT232 or CP2102 with a little bit of soldering,
> as there's only three wires to solder.

That's what I was preparing myself for when I decided to give UberWaves
cables a try...