FC project direction

Das Signal das.signal at freecalypso.org
Tue May 26 22:57:40 CEST 2015

Hi Mychaela,

It's great that you have been able to build a firmware with BMI enabled!
I strongly agree that Pirelli and Compal are a dead end; targeting GTA02
is a good idea considering it's much closer to the reference design and
you have obtained the layout. Of course developing new hardware is the
best course of action imho.

I don't currently own a GTA02 (yet), however I can still give a hand at
trying to understand calibration with the hardware I have (not as good
as a CMU200, but it's a start). Unfortunately I have no knowledge about
board design, except that directly connecting Vdd to Gnd is a bad idea ;)

To attract more developers, an idea could be to succeed at an initial PoC
port to C1xx, and announce it on osmocom-bb's baseband-devel mailing list.
Since all osmocom-bb users and developers currently own C1xx hardware,
this might raise their interest for the project, and get them to give
FreeCalypso a try. This could also generate media attention in the case
of a crowdfunding campaign for hw development. What do you guys think?

--DS