Firmware bring-up status

Das Signal das.signal at freecalypso.org
Sat May 16 11:28:41 CEST 2015

Hello Spacefalcon,

On Sat, May 16, 2015 at 02:24:06AM +0000, Spacefalcon the Outlaw wrote:

> I got an update: I found and fixed the issue that caused our experimental
> fw to crash on boot when the modem is still "hot" from a previous power
> cycle, i.e., has only been off for a few seconds rather than minutes.

That's awesome news! Also thanks for the detailed explanation of what
is going on behind the scenes!

As for me I've been able to enable more traces in the C118 R87.2.1.03
firmware, by patching InitializeTrace and pf_TaskEntry to fill the TraceMask
array with 0xff; this way, the tests in vsi_*_trace always succeed.

Incidentally I've also patched ser_initialize_serial_link, UA_Init and
the various calls to uart_init so as to force a divisor of 1 (link speed
of 812500 bauds) everywhere; in particular UA_Init forced the speed to
57600 bauds which was a bit annoying.

I've also applied the same _TraceMask patches to my DP-L10. Here is
the result captured by rvtdump:

https://www.freecalypso.org/traces/20150516-rvtdump-c118-tracemask-ff.txt
https://www.freecalypso.org/traces/20150516-rvtdump-dp-l10-tracemask-ff.txt

At some point, the C118 firmware decides to stop outputting anything -
I'm not sure why yet, this needs more investigating. OTOH the DP-L10 trace
is super detailed, and should provide a good overview of what's going on.
The L1 trace seems to go through a different code path, this will also
require further research.

--DS