Another message encoding test!

david at matthews.pm david at matthews.pm
Fri May 1 08:54:56 CEST 2015

>Ignorance on my part...  I remember the days when Majordomo was the
>"norm", but in this day and age it appears that all "respectable" FOSS
>projects and communities who have their own servers (as opposed to
>using Yahoo groups or the like) run Mailman - hence I naively assumed
>that we needed to do the same in order to appear legitimate and
>respectable.

yeah everybody and his brother uses mailman; I still think it's horrible, but it is Das' admin problem rather than mine :-) I do agree though that we don't want to go the yahoo groups route.

MailingListManagementMadeJoyful - much as I like it - might still give us problems though. AFAIK it just simply receives mail and sends it out to the addresses on its list as is; so we have the same problem if someone uses a sucky email client maybe.

Looking ahead though it would be a crazy situation to have a new member with  interesting comments or contributions that you cannot read coz they use the wrong email client.

I guess at the end of the day one of us can just rewrite a interesting post in a way that does not prompt mailman to base64 encode; it probably won't arise so often.

--
David Matthews
david at matthews.pm