Another message encoding test!

Das Signal das.signal at freecalypso.org
Fri May 1 00:30:48 CEST 2015

On Thu, Apr 30, 2015 at 10:09:38PM +0000, Spacefalcon the Outlaw wrote:

> > I'm very glad everything is working fine!
> > [...]
>
> Actually this specific message came through as base64. :-(  But it
> seems to have happened because it contained some non-ASCII characters.
> Non-ASCII characters in email are the real problem, and base64 is just
> a piss-poor "solution".  Just stick to 7-bit ASCII chars only, and
> then everything is beautiful. :-)

You are correct, the webmail client I was using added for whatever reason
non ASCII characters just after my signature:

00002c0: 7273 6574 2e68 746d 6c0a 0a2d 2d44 53c2  rset.html..--DS.
00002d0: a00a c2a0 0a5f 5f5f 5f5f 5f5f 5f5f 5f5f  .....___________
00002e0: 5f5f 5f5f 5f5f 5f5f 5f5f 5f5f 5f5f 5f5f  ________________

More specifically, 0xc2 0xa0 was inserted. This is unicode character
U+00A0, "NO-BREAK SPACE". The solution is easy, I'll stick to sending
mail using mutt instead and everything should be fine :)

--DS