Another message encoding test!

Das Signal das.signal at freecalypso.org
Fri May 1 00:03:13 CEST 2015

Hi SF,

I'm very glad everything is working fine!

For the record, I changed in  /usr/lib/mailman/Mailman/Defaults.py the
value of DEFAULT_CHARSET from utf-8 to us-ascii. I also changed
VERBATIM_ENCODING as well. The problem was rather subtle; at first
I looked for calls to base64 in Mailman, but the only ones were for
password generation. Then I stumbled on DEFAULT_CHARSET, but
noticed is never used in the Mailman code so I thought initially it was
a leftover. After some debugging it turns out it is indeed used, but by
the "email" Python package Mailman depends upon. By default this
package will force base64 encoding when the charset is utf-8. See:
https://docs.python.org/3.2/library/email.charset.html

--DS