Firmware debug: handover to the community

Das Signal das.signal at freecalypso.org
Tue Jun 23 14:25:16 CEST 2015

Hi everyone!

I'd like to report on the state of my attempts to debug gsm-fw. So far I've
been able to install the TI toolchain and recompile both sotovik and leo2moko
(debug version) without any issues, thanks to the excellent documentation
provided by Mychaela, in particular TI_src/wine/README. The sotovik build is
a bit too large (5 MB) but I assume some parameter must be tweaked -- it's
not a big deal anyway.

I first used the original leo2moko (gsm-fw.m0) as a reference: it successfully
connected to my test network, and the phone received SMS without issues. Then
I flashed my compiled leo2moko-debug, flashed it with fc-loadtool and ran
qtmoko-neo. Again everything worked fine, the phone being able to attach and
receive SMS, including when in deep sleep.

Finally I compiled gsm-fw, based on configs/gtamodem-gsm then flashed
flashImage.bin. Running qt-moko blocks on the PIN input screen, rvinterf also
does not show the usual frequency/sch burst that appears with leomoko-debug.
Now since qtmoko, or more specifically a process called "qpe", is a bit of a
black-box, I switched to fc-shell and disabled deep sleep. Although several
AT commands success (such as AT+CGMR). AT+COPS=? returns with ERROR immediately
whereas; it works as expected in leo2moko-debug.

So at this point I'm enabling more traces to identify where this problem comes
from. One thing I've noticed is that leo2moko unfortunately uses this id to
string translation mechanism (str2ind.tab), which makes comparing traces with
gsm-fw a bit difficult, so I'm looking into ctracedec to get a better output.

--DS