Motorola C139 euro version?

Mychaela Falconia falcon at ivan.Harhan.ORG
Wed Dec 16 18:26:08 CET 2015

Nam-Shub <nam-shub at riseup.net> wrote:

> I'm considering buying a C139 to play with and test. But since I live
> in europe, I would need the euro/asian version (900/1800MHz). Has
> anyone tried one of these with the current tcs211-c139 firmware? Does
> radio work?

Yes, two of our members based in 900&1800 MHz lands have used the EU
version of the C139 successfully with our current tcs211-c139 hack,
and the radio does work.  (IIRC they reported both calls and SMS
working.)

> Also, if anyone knows where to buy a 900/1800MHz version of C139,
> links would be appreciated. Seems the eBay sellers are all selling US
> versions. But I'm sure I'll find it somewhere.

This one seems to be the EU band version:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Mobile-phone-Motorola-C139-/331407190167?hash=item4d29686897:g:CMYAAOSwD0lUgus~

The EU band version of the C139 is also sometimes called C140; I
haven't been able to figure out what the difference is between C139
and C140, there doesn't seem to be any.  If you can't find an EU band
phone anywhere, I think I have a couple of C140s stashed somewhere (EU
bands); I would have to dig and find them though...

You can also try this guy:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorola-C123-variant-Osmocom-OsmocomBB-with-FTDI-or-CP2102-Cable-and-USB-image-/252202010667?var=&hash=item3ab869482b:m:mnJqoQdq00YA9P1lCj10ZOw

He is based in Greece, so all his phones will be EU bands, but ask him
if he has any C139/140 units: unfortunately our FreeCalypso self-
contained firmware won't work on C115/118/123 phones as they have too
little RAM.  (Yoy could say it's our fault because Compal/Motorola got
their fw to fit, but I'm just not masochistic enough to try such a
tight squeeze.)

Oh, and if you are going to buy from UberWaves (the ebay seller above),
please make sure to tell him in the strongest words that you'll be
using the phone and the cable with FreeCalypso, not OsmocomBB, and
that you want the sticker on his special-made cable to say "FreeCalypso"
rather than "OsmocomBB".  You should be firm and tell him that you
will NOT give him your business unless he changes that sticker - that
may be the only way to make him listen.  (As you can probably tell
from my upset tone, I've been having some difficulties with him.)