GTM900-like FreeCalypso modem module idea

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Tue Sep 3 15:45:16 UTC 2019

Hi Mychaela,

On Fri, Aug 23, 2019 at 06:35:37PM -0800, Mychaela Falconia wrote:
> I have a new hardware idea: we can create a FreeCalypso modem module
> in the form factor copied from Huawei GTM900.

While I praise your enthusiasm, my personal opinion on this is that it
looks like it's rather futile.  If the GTM900-B can be obtained at
incredibly low prices (one-digit USD figures), people who just want
to play with Calypso based devices are unlikely going to invest
a considerably larger (probably by two orders of magnitude) amount
of money in a "clone" just for MCSI and tri-band RF.

But by all means, don't let my negativity keep you from doing anything.

I personally just don't see the use case, sorry.  Interest in GSM is
decreasing very rapidly anyways, as are networks/deployments.  And
with plenty of inexpensive, old hardware around.

Just my two cents,
	Harald